1. What happened in Book 9?
- Odysseus tells the story of his encounter with the Laestrygonians and how they destroy and eat his entire fleat
- Odysseus goes down to Hades Hall and meets 'august' Persephone, who falls in love with Odysseus and tries to persuade him with the promise of being the King of the Dead to marry her and so be made immortal
- Odysseus tells the story of the Cicones, the Lotus Eaters and the Cyclops, Polyphemus, who calls on Poseidon to avenge himand stall Odysseus' return
- Odysseus retells his story of his escape from Calypso by drugging her with her own wine - aided by Athene - and then swimming for freedom
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happens in Book 8?
- Athene disguised Odysseus as a fish so that he was able to escape the 'dread' Scylla - unfortunately this failed and Odysseus was devoured
- Odysseus' men turned up at Phaeacia from Hades Hall to get their revenge on Odysseus for not stopping them eating the cattle of the Sun God Hyperion
- The Phaeacian Games and Odysseus is asked to reveal his identity so that they will know which country that they can return his too
- Leodamas challenged Odysseus to a duel which Odysseus lost - this severely damaged his kleos and his chances of returning with lots of treasure
3. What happened in Book 11?
- Odysseus conteplates commiting suicides because he feels so helpless after all his men have died and that he will never return to Ithaca
- Odysseus goes down to Hades Hall to here the prophesies of Teiresias, the blind Theban prophet, who warns Odysseus away from Hyperions cattle and tells him how to make peace with Poseidon and the other gods
- Odysseus has stayed with Circe for a year and decides that since he was the only man to escape from the Laestrygonians, and that he couldn't return to Ithaca on his own, he may as well marry Circe and become immortal
- Odysseus' men plead with him to stay for ever at Circe's palace
4. What happens in Book 1?
- Erycleia has a dream that Odysseus wil return within the next year. This dream is interpretted by Halitherses and he says that this dream will come true. Other omen - two eagles from a mountain and zues sending a clap of thunder - the Suitors reject
- Athene visits Telemachus diguised as Mentes, the Taphian Chieftain, to inspire Telemachus to visit Nestor and Menlaus and call and aasembly to get rid of the Suitors
- Anticlaeia, Odysseus' mother, died from grief at Odysseus' long departure
- Penelope lost her temper with Melantho, one of her maids and sent her into exile
5. What happened in Book 12?
- It was Odysseus' 40th birthday and Calypso give Odysseus the gift of immortality to mark it
- Odysseus meets the Sirens and Scylla but he and his men fail to navigate Charybdis. Odysseus only manages to survive because he grabs a hold of the fig tree on the rock and waits for some reckage to be 'spewed' back up to float upon
- Odysseus returns to Aeaea and gets further instructions from Circe. He then faces the Sirens, Scylla and Charybdis, and gies to Thrinacia and his men eat the cattle of the sun. His men are drowned as punishment and Odysseus floats to Ogygia
- Odysseus returns to Circe after visiting the relm of the dead and remains there for another year at the insistance of his men
Similar Classical Civilization resources: