1. What happens in Book 7?
- Alcinous rebukes Nausicaa and tells her that she will never a loyal with as a result of her not bringing Odysseus back to the palace herself
- Odysseus reveals his identity to the Phaeacians as a way of explaination for his continual weeping at the bard Demodocus' songs of the Trojan War
- Odysseus secures the favour of Queen Arete and King Alcinous agrees to give him safe passage back to Ithaca and Odysseus tells Alcinous and Arete of his journey from Calypso's island to Scherie
- Queen Arete and therefore Alcinous decide that they need further proof of the quality of Odysseus
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happened in Book 23?
- Penelope tests Odysseus on the marriage bed and finds that Odysseus has really returned. They sleep together and the tale of Odysseus' return to an extent finishes here
- Odysseus and Penelope moarn the death of their son and build an enormous burrial mound for him
- The family of the dead Suitors find out what had happened in the palace and rushed up and a second battle occurs, but Athene and Zeus tell them to make peace
- Athene disguised as Mentor appears and gives Penelope and Odysseus her blessing
3. What happened in Book 13?
- Telemachus, returning from his visit to Nestor and Menelaus, meets Odysseus and accepts him on board so that the Phaeacians don't have to go all the way to Ithaca
- Odysseus' tale has finished and he is returned to Ithaca. Poseidon is furious and turn the returning Phaeacian ship into stone as a punishment to the Paeacians for being too generous with their xenia. Athene appears to Odysseus disguised as a shapard
- Poseidon recks the Phaeacian ship in his fury and takes away the Phaeacians skill as 'seamen' as punishment for there xenia. Odysseus is left to drown, but manages to swim back to Phaeacia, where he is found by Eumaeus
- Telemachus is visited by Athene and told to return to Ithaca
4. What happened in Book 16?
- Laertes, on a passing visit to Eumaeus finds his not there, but instead Telemachus and Odysseus. Despite the disguise, Laertes recognises Odysseus and faints from shock
- Telemachus arrives at Eumaeus' hut. Whilst Eumaeus tells Penelope of Telemachus' return Odyseus reveals himself to his 'noble son' after Athene has told him to and changed him back to Odysseus - Telemachus is initially disbelieving
- Odysseus tries to reveal his true identity to Telemachus but he refuses to believe that his father has finally returned from Troy
- The Suitors here of Telemachus' return despite their ambush and find him in Eumaeus' his. A fight ensues, but dispite the odds, Telemachus and Odysseus win
5. What happened in Book 9?
- Odysseus tells the story of the Cicones, the Lotus Eaters and the Cyclops, Polyphemus, who calls on Poseidon to avenge himand stall Odysseus' return
- Odysseus goes down to Hades Hall and meets 'august' Persephone, who falls in love with Odysseus and tries to persuade him with the promise of being the King of the Dead to marry her and so be made immortal
- Odysseus retells his story of his escape from Calypso by drugging her with her own wine - aided by Athene - and then swimming for freedom
- Odysseus tells the story of his encounter with the Laestrygonians and how they destroy and eat his entire fleat
Similar Classical Civilization resources: