1. What happened in Book 9?
- Odysseus tells the story of his encounter with the Laestrygonians and how they destroy and eat his entire fleat
- Odysseus tells the story of the Cicones, the Lotus Eaters and the Cyclops, Polyphemus, who calls on Poseidon to avenge himand stall Odysseus' return
- Odysseus retells his story of his escape from Calypso by drugging her with her own wine - aided by Athene - and then swimming for freedom
- Odysseus goes down to Hades Hall and meets 'august' Persephone, who falls in love with Odysseus and tries to persuade him with the promise of being the King of the Dead to marry her and so be made immortal
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happened in Book 19?
- Odysseus and Telemachus hide the weapons and Odysseus has a meeting with Penelope. Whilst Euycleia is washing Odysseus' feets she notices his scar and nearly gives the game away
- Penelope accepts Anphimous' hand in marriage to the distress of Odysseus and Telemachus
- Telemachus insites the Suitors to treat Odysseys badly to increase his wrath
- Odysseus kills Irus by a punch to the throat by accident - he didn't mean to kill him
3. What happens in Book 8?
- The Phaeacian Games and Odysseus is asked to reveal his identity so that they will know which country that they can return his too
- Odysseus' men turned up at Phaeacia from Hades Hall to get their revenge on Odysseus for not stopping them eating the cattle of the Sun God Hyperion
- Leodamas challenged Odysseus to a duel which Odysseus lost - this severely damaged his kleos and his chances of returning with lots of treasure
- Athene disguised Odysseus as a fish so that he was able to escape the 'dread' Scylla - unfortunately this failed and Odysseus was devoured
4. What happened in Book 10?
- Odysseus meets Aeolus, who he stays with for a month, and gives him and bag of all the winds to enable him to reach Ithaca quicker, which his men open. Odysseus then goes to the land of the Laestrygonians and his fleet is destroyed. He meets Circe
- Antiphates, the Laestrygonian chieftan invites Odysseus and his men into his palace and provides them a feast. After their senses have been dull, he and his noble men prceedto eat all of Odysseus' men. Only Odysseus escapes
- Aeolus refuses to give Odysseus help and tells him that the gods 'despise' him and that he shouldn't have blinded Polyphemus
- Odysseus meets the Gorgan but manages to turn her to stone using the reflection on his shield
5. What happened in Book 12?
- It was Odysseus' 40th birthday and Calypso give Odysseus the gift of immortality to mark it
- Odysseus meets the Sirens and Scylla but he and his men fail to navigate Charybdis. Odysseus only manages to survive because he grabs a hold of the fig tree on the rock and waits for some reckage to be 'spewed' back up to float upon
- Odysseus returns to Aeaea and gets further instructions from Circe. He then faces the Sirens, Scylla and Charybdis, and gies to Thrinacia and his men eat the cattle of the sun. His men are drowned as punishment and Odysseus floats to Ogygia
- Odysseus returns to Circe after visiting the relm of the dead and remains there for another year at the insistance of his men
Similar Classical Civilization resources: