1. What happened in Book 16?
- Telemachus arrives at Eumaeus' hut. Whilst Eumaeus tells Penelope of Telemachus' return Odyseus reveals himself to his 'noble son' after Athene has told him to and changed him back to Odysseus - Telemachus is initially disbelieving
- Odysseus tries to reveal his true identity to Telemachus but he refuses to believe that his father has finally returned from Troy
- Laertes, on a passing visit to Eumaeus finds his not there, but instead Telemachus and Odysseus. Despite the disguise, Laertes recognises Odysseus and faints from shock
- The Suitors here of Telemachus' return despite their ambush and find him in Eumaeus' his. A fight ensues, but dispite the odds, Telemachus and Odysseus win
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happened in Book 9?
- Odysseus tells the story of his encounter with the Laestrygonians and how they destroy and eat his entire fleat
- Odysseus tells the story of the Cicones, the Lotus Eaters and the Cyclops, Polyphemus, who calls on Poseidon to avenge himand stall Odysseus' return
- Odysseus retells his story of his escape from Calypso by drugging her with her own wine - aided by Athene - and then swimming for freedom
- Odysseus goes down to Hades Hall and meets 'august' Persephone, who falls in love with Odysseus and tries to persuade him with the promise of being the King of the Dead to marry her and so be made immortal
3. What happened in Book 10?
- Aeolus refuses to give Odysseus help and tells him that the gods 'despise' him and that he shouldn't have blinded Polyphemus
- Odysseus meets the Gorgan but manages to turn her to stone using the reflection on his shield
- Odysseus meets Aeolus, who he stays with for a month, and gives him and bag of all the winds to enable him to reach Ithaca quicker, which his men open. Odysseus then goes to the land of the Laestrygonians and his fleet is destroyed. He meets Circe
- Antiphates, the Laestrygonian chieftan invites Odysseus and his men into his palace and provides them a feast. After their senses have been dull, he and his noble men prceedto eat all of Odysseus' men. Only Odysseus escapes
4. What happens in Book 1?
- Anticlaeia, Odysseus' mother, died from grief at Odysseus' long departure
- Athene visits Telemachus diguised as Mentes, the Taphian Chieftain, to inspire Telemachus to visit Nestor and Menlaus and call and aasembly to get rid of the Suitors
- Penelope lost her temper with Melantho, one of her maids and sent her into exile
- Erycleia has a dream that Odysseus wil return within the next year. This dream is interpretted by Halitherses and he says that this dream will come true. Other omen - two eagles from a mountain and zues sending a clap of thunder - the Suitors reject
5. What happened in Book 22?
- In Odysseus' anger he kills Phemius and Medon, which angers the gods as they were innocent and not destined to die
- The battle starts by Odysseus shotting an arror through Antinous' throat. All the Suitors are killed as well as the disloyal maid servants and Melanthius
- Penelope's prayer to Apollo is finally heard and he shoots an arrow at her and she dies peacefully whilst the battle is going on
- Telemachus is killed in the battle as a result of insiting the Suitors to treat Odysseus badly
Similar Classical Civilization resources: