1. What happened in Book 13?
- Telemachus is visited by Athene and told to return to Ithaca
- Odysseus' tale has finished and he is returned to Ithaca. Poseidon is furious and turn the returning Phaeacian ship into stone as a punishment to the Paeacians for being too generous with their xenia. Athene appears to Odysseus disguised as a shapard
- Telemachus, returning from his visit to Nestor and Menelaus, meets Odysseus and accepts him on board so that the Phaeacians don't have to go all the way to Ithaca
- Poseidon recks the Phaeacian ship in his fury and takes away the Phaeacians skill as 'seamen' as punishment for there xenia. Odysseus is left to drown, but manages to swim back to Phaeacia, where he is found by Eumaeus
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happens in Book 8?
- Odysseus' men turned up at Phaeacia from Hades Hall to get their revenge on Odysseus for not stopping them eating the cattle of the Sun God Hyperion
- Leodamas challenged Odysseus to a duel which Odysseus lost - this severely damaged his kleos and his chances of returning with lots of treasure
- The Phaeacian Games and Odysseus is asked to reveal his identity so that they will know which country that they can return his too
- Athene disguised Odysseus as a fish so that he was able to escape the 'dread' Scylla - unfortunately this failed and Odysseus was devoured
3. What happened in Book 19?
- Penelope accepts Anphimous' hand in marriage to the distress of Odysseus and Telemachus
- Telemachus insites the Suitors to treat Odysseys badly to increase his wrath
- Odysseus and Telemachus hide the weapons and Odysseus has a meeting with Penelope. Whilst Euycleia is washing Odysseus' feets she notices his scar and nearly gives the game away
- Odysseus kills Irus by a punch to the throat by accident - he didn't mean to kill him
4. What happened in Book 16?
- Laertes, on a passing visit to Eumaeus finds his not there, but instead Telemachus and Odysseus. Despite the disguise, Laertes recognises Odysseus and faints from shock
- Telemachus arrives at Eumaeus' hut. Whilst Eumaeus tells Penelope of Telemachus' return Odyseus reveals himself to his 'noble son' after Athene has told him to and changed him back to Odysseus - Telemachus is initially disbelieving
- Odysseus tries to reveal his true identity to Telemachus but he refuses to believe that his father has finally returned from Troy
- The Suitors here of Telemachus' return despite their ambush and find him in Eumaeus' his. A fight ensues, but dispite the odds, Telemachus and Odysseus win
5. What happened in Book 22?
- In Odysseus' anger he kills Phemius and Medon, which angers the gods as they were innocent and not destined to die
- Telemachus is killed in the battle as a result of insiting the Suitors to treat Odysseus badly
- The battle starts by Odysseus shotting an arror through Antinous' throat. All the Suitors are killed as well as the disloyal maid servants and Melanthius
- Penelope's prayer to Apollo is finally heard and he shoots an arrow at her and she dies peacefully whilst the battle is going on
Similar Classical Civilization resources: