1. What happens in Book 6?
- Calypso arrives at Phaeacia to give Odysseus a final present that he left behind on her island - Odysseus is mortified that he could forget a gift of a goddess and hides in the back of Alcinous' palace
- Alcinous gives Nausicaa's hand in marriage to Odysseus - to the outrage of the other Phaeacian nobles. Odysseus is unsure whether to accept or to insist that he wants to return back to Ithaca
- Athene sends Nausicaa a dream to inspire her to go and wash clothes in the river. Nausicaa finds Odysseus and she takes him to her fathers palace
- Poseidon is angered by the xenia offered to Odysseus by the Phaeacians and encircles them in a ring of mountains as punishment and to prevent any chance of Odysseus' return to Ithaca
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happened in Book 23?
- The family of the dead Suitors find out what had happened in the palace and rushed up and a second battle occurs, but Athene and Zeus tell them to make peace
- Athene disguised as Mentor appears and gives Penelope and Odysseus her blessing
- Penelope tests Odysseus on the marriage bed and finds that Odysseus has really returned. They sleep together and the tale of Odysseus' return to an extent finishes here
- Odysseus and Penelope moarn the death of their son and build an enormous burrial mound for him
3. What happened in Book 22?
- Penelope's prayer to Apollo is finally heard and he shoots an arrow at her and she dies peacefully whilst the battle is going on
- The battle starts by Odysseus shotting an arror through Antinous' throat. All the Suitors are killed as well as the disloyal maid servants and Melanthius
- Telemachus is killed in the battle as a result of insiting the Suitors to treat Odysseus badly
- In Odysseus' anger he kills Phemius and Medon, which angers the gods as they were innocent and not destined to die
4. What happened in Book 21?
- Penelope sets up the contest of the bow and axes to finally choose her Suitor. All of them and Telemachus fail to string the bow. Odysseus tries and succeeds to the horror of the Suitors to string the bow
- Eurycleia reveals Odysseus identity to Penelope, who rushes down to Odysseus as soon as she finds out and gives the game away
- Odysseus falis to string the great bow to his distress because of suffering hardships for the last 20 years
- Antinous and Eurymachus both succeed in string in the bow to their delight as it proved that they were worthy of taking over as king from Odysseus
5. What happened in Book 10?
- Odysseus meets Aeolus, who he stays with for a month, and gives him and bag of all the winds to enable him to reach Ithaca quicker, which his men open. Odysseus then goes to the land of the Laestrygonians and his fleet is destroyed. He meets Circe
- Antiphates, the Laestrygonian chieftan invites Odysseus and his men into his palace and provides them a feast. After their senses have been dull, he and his noble men prceedto eat all of Odysseus' men. Only Odysseus escapes
- Aeolus refuses to give Odysseus help and tells him that the gods 'despise' him and that he shouldn't have blinded Polyphemus
- Odysseus meets the Gorgan but manages to turn her to stone using the reflection on his shield
Similar Classical Civilization resources: