1. What happened in Book 11?
- Odysseus' men plead with him to stay for ever at Circe's palace
- Odysseus goes down to Hades Hall to here the prophesies of Teiresias, the blind Theban prophet, who warns Odysseus away from Hyperions cattle and tells him how to make peace with Poseidon and the other gods
- Odysseus conteplates commiting suicides because he feels so helpless after all his men have died and that he will never return to Ithaca
- Odysseus has stayed with Circe for a year and decides that since he was the only man to escape from the Laestrygonians, and that he couldn't return to Ithaca on his own, he may as well marry Circe and become immortal
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happened in Book 13?
- Odysseus' tale has finished and he is returned to Ithaca. Poseidon is furious and turn the returning Phaeacian ship into stone as a punishment to the Paeacians for being too generous with their xenia. Athene appears to Odysseus disguised as a shapard
- Poseidon recks the Phaeacian ship in his fury and takes away the Phaeacians skill as 'seamen' as punishment for there xenia. Odysseus is left to drown, but manages to swim back to Phaeacia, where he is found by Eumaeus
- Telemachus, returning from his visit to Nestor and Menelaus, meets Odysseus and accepts him on board so that the Phaeacians don't have to go all the way to Ithaca
- Telemachus is visited by Athene and told to return to Ithaca
3. What happens in Book 8?
- The Phaeacian Games and Odysseus is asked to reveal his identity so that they will know which country that they can return his too
- Odysseus' men turned up at Phaeacia from Hades Hall to get their revenge on Odysseus for not stopping them eating the cattle of the Sun God Hyperion
- Leodamas challenged Odysseus to a duel which Odysseus lost - this severely damaged his kleos and his chances of returning with lots of treasure
- Athene disguised Odysseus as a fish so that he was able to escape the 'dread' Scylla - unfortunately this failed and Odysseus was devoured
4. What happened in Book 12?
- Odysseus returns to Aeaea and gets further instructions from Circe. He then faces the Sirens, Scylla and Charybdis, and gies to Thrinacia and his men eat the cattle of the sun. His men are drowned as punishment and Odysseus floats to Ogygia
- It was Odysseus' 40th birthday and Calypso give Odysseus the gift of immortality to mark it
- Odysseus meets the Sirens and Scylla but he and his men fail to navigate Charybdis. Odysseus only manages to survive because he grabs a hold of the fig tree on the rock and waits for some reckage to be 'spewed' back up to float upon
- Odysseus returns to Circe after visiting the relm of the dead and remains there for another year at the insistance of his men
5. What happened in Book 10?
- Odysseus meets Aeolus, who he stays with for a month, and gives him and bag of all the winds to enable him to reach Ithaca quicker, which his men open. Odysseus then goes to the land of the Laestrygonians and his fleet is destroyed. He meets Circe
- Odysseus meets the Gorgan but manages to turn her to stone using the reflection on his shield
- Antiphates, the Laestrygonian chieftan invites Odysseus and his men into his palace and provides them a feast. After their senses have been dull, he and his noble men prceedto eat all of Odysseus' men. Only Odysseus escapes
- Aeolus refuses to give Odysseus help and tells him that the gods 'despise' him and that he shouldn't have blinded Polyphemus
Similar Classical Civilization resources: