1. What happened in Book 21?
- Penelope sets up the contest of the bow and axes to finally choose her Suitor. All of them and Telemachus fail to string the bow. Odysseus tries and succeeds to the horror of the Suitors to string the bow
- Odysseus falis to string the great bow to his distress because of suffering hardships for the last 20 years
- Antinous and Eurymachus both succeed in string in the bow to their delight as it proved that they were worthy of taking over as king from Odysseus
- Eurycleia reveals Odysseus identity to Penelope, who rushes down to Odysseus as soon as she finds out and gives the game away
1 of 16
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happens in Book 7?
- Odysseus secures the favour of Queen Arete and King Alcinous agrees to give him safe passage back to Ithaca and Odysseus tells Alcinous and Arete of his journey from Calypso's island to Scherie
- Queen Arete and therefore Alcinous decide that they need further proof of the quality of Odysseus
- Alcinous rebukes Nausicaa and tells her that she will never a loyal with as a result of her not bringing Odysseus back to the palace herself
- Odysseus reveals his identity to the Phaeacians as a way of explaination for his continual weeping at the bard Demodocus' songs of the Trojan War
3. What happened in Book 19?
- Odysseus kills Irus by a punch to the throat by accident - he didn't mean to kill him
- Odysseus and Telemachus hide the weapons and Odysseus has a meeting with Penelope. Whilst Euycleia is washing Odysseus' feets she notices his scar and nearly gives the game away
- Telemachus insites the Suitors to treat Odysseys badly to increase his wrath
- Penelope accepts Anphimous' hand in marriage to the distress of Odysseus and Telemachus
4. What happened in Book 12?
- Odysseus returns to Aeaea and gets further instructions from Circe. He then faces the Sirens, Scylla and Charybdis, and gies to Thrinacia and his men eat the cattle of the sun. His men are drowned as punishment and Odysseus floats to Ogygia
- Odysseus meets the Sirens and Scylla but he and his men fail to navigate Charybdis. Odysseus only manages to survive because he grabs a hold of the fig tree on the rock and waits for some reckage to be 'spewed' back up to float upon
- Odysseus returns to Circe after visiting the relm of the dead and remains there for another year at the insistance of his men
- It was Odysseus' 40th birthday and Calypso give Odysseus the gift of immortality to mark it
5. What happened in Book 10?
- Odysseus meets the Gorgan but manages to turn her to stone using the reflection on his shield
- Antiphates, the Laestrygonian chieftan invites Odysseus and his men into his palace and provides them a feast. After their senses have been dull, he and his noble men prceedto eat all of Odysseus' men. Only Odysseus escapes
- Odysseus meets Aeolus, who he stays with for a month, and gives him and bag of all the winds to enable him to reach Ithaca quicker, which his men open. Odysseus then goes to the land of the Laestrygonians and his fleet is destroyed. He meets Circe
- Aeolus refuses to give Odysseus help and tells him that the gods 'despise' him and that he shouldn't have blinded Polyphemus
Similar Classical Civilization resources: