Section 1: Believing in God
Topic 1.1 – Religious Upbringing
A religious upbringing is likely to a belief in God because:
· Children will be taught to believe in God
· May be sent to a religious school
· Will spend most of their time around people who believe in God
· Children will not want to be different from their parents or upset them
Topic 1.2 – Religious experience (numinous, prayers and miracles)
· People claim to experience God in miracles; answered prayer, numinous and conversion. These type of experience make some people feel that God is real.
· Numinous – The feeling and presence of something greater than yourself
· Miracle – when something appears to happen that science cannot explain
Topic 1.3 - The argument from design and how it may, or may not, lead to belief in God
· The Universe seems to be designed, like a watch. Anything that has been designed must have a designer, therefore, God must exist because only God could have designed the Universe.
· For: The only possible thing that could have designed something as beautiful as the Earth must have been God.
· Seems to match up to Holy texts such as the Bible and the Qur’an.
· Against: The world is clearly not designed because of all the suffering and design flaws such as volcanoes and disease.
· All the evidence for design is explained through science: Big bang (proven my red shift) and evolution.
Topic 1.4 – The argument for causation and how it may, or may not, lead to belief in God
· The way everything seems to have a cause makes people think the Universe must have a cause. The only possible cause of the Universe is God, so God must exist.
· For: Seems to match…