These are separated into simple or complex carbohydrates.
Simple Carbohydrates (Sugars)
Include glucose and sugar
Complex Carbohydrates (Starches)
Include pasta, bread and rice.
Carbohydrates are one of the main sources of energy and are essential for active people.
There are three types of fat and they are commonly found in:
- cooking oils
Fats are another major source of energy for the body.
Commonly known as 'building blocks' because they are very important in the growth of new tissue.
The two main sources of protein are:
- animal products
- plant foods - i.e. beans, lentils, nuts and seeds
Vitamins and Minerals
- These are essential to enable you to maintain good health
- Vitamins are only required in small quanitites.
- They are normally contained in a normal diet
- Also only required in small amounts
- Mainly found in vegetables and meats
These are absolutely essentail because failure to replace lost water can result in dehydration.
More problems can be caused by lack of water than by lack of food.
Dehydration: the rapid loss of water from the body
This is an important aid to the digestive system.
It is contained in things like:
- wholegrain bread