- Can be measured in k/joules or k/calories.
- Foods that provide energy: Carbohydrates(3.75k/cal/g - no more than 11% of dietry energy should come from sugar and 39% of dietry energy should come from starch), Fats(9k/cal/g - no more than 35% of dietry energy should come from fat and 11% should come from saturated fat), Proteins(4k/cal/g), Alcohol(7/cal/g)
- We need 1000k/cal per day to stay alive
How much do we need?
Men - 2500k/cal/day
Women - 2000k/cal/day
What affects how much energy we need?
- Age - elderly need less(more sedentry - less active)
- Pregnancy(extra 200k/cal/day in the last trimester)
- Illness - sometimes need more energy but if very inactive it is better to…