RELATIONSHIPS AND FAMILYS
WOMEN IN THE CHURCH:
womens typical traits actually for-fil all of the job description atributes to become a priest eg: compassionate.
- why arnt they priests then? (CATHOLIC VIEW)
1. THE ORIGINAL SIN STORY
eve took the apple from the tree meaning that some fundamentalist christians say that this means women are more easily fooled than men. another argument is as women were made from mans rib they arnt as like god as men are.
2. JESUS WAS A MAN
priests should follow jesus example and as jesus was a man with male desciples a priest should be male.
- reasons why women should be priest (CHURCH OF ENGLAND VIEW)
1. GOD MADE BOTH MAN AND WOMEN IN HIS IMAGE
the bible preaches equality mostly and so BOTH men and women should deserve a equal chage of becoming a priest and spreading gods word which is alot more imporatnt than worrying about outdated gender roles.
2. THE TIME THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN SOCIETY WAS V DIFFERNT
the religion needs to adopt to living in a moden society where equality is highly valued
3. HELP BREAK THE SEXIST STERIOTYPE ASSOCIATED WITH RELIGION
FAMILY SET UP
nuclear family: married pairents living with thier biological children.
exteneded family: where children, parents, grandpairents, aunts etc. live togeather as a unit.
re-constituded family: step brothers/sisters living togeather with their pairents
christian ideal faimly:
- it's a gift from God; it's part of God’s plan for creation that men and women should live together
- it provides a relationship through which husband and wife support each other; this relationship is built on love and faithfulness
- it provides a secure environment for the bringing up of children
man + woman + many childern
- "be fruitful and multiply"
- bring them up in a christian home with christian values
- children should honour their pairents
SAME SEX MARRIAGE
- legalised in 2005
fundamentalist christian view: take the bible litterally and the bible says homosexuality is wrong and a sin
liberal chraistan view: the bible should be adopted to modern society of equality. the reason it says this in the bible is beaouse there was no understanding of sexuality, there was a…