- Created by: rossbrooks123
- Created on: 09-05-16 17:50
Data storage and backup
Businesses need to store data securely which can be accessed easily. Businesses need to do this to protect customers details, for example a business may have bank details on a persons record which will need to be protected so they can keep their reputation, keep customers happy.
- There are two main types of storage devices:
- Internal devices: These are devices that are built into the computer like a hard disk.
- External devices: These are devices that can be removed from the computer like a USB or a DVD.
- Usually smaller companies use internal devices as their main form of storage (internal devices). By using this method it is important to back the data up regulary.
- Larger companies will usually use a central server in which all members of staff can access the data and easily make copies and back ups onto an external device.
- Portable storage devices like USB are good because they can be backed up easily and shared on computers effeicently.
- Hard disks are usually internal devices, they're already in the computer.
- Usually their capacity is measured in gigabytes (GB). 1GB = 1024 megabytes (MB)
- Desktops tend to have more storage in GB than laptops.
- However sometimes hard drives do collapse and loose any data on it. This is why it is important to back data up regulary.
- External hard disks are devices that plug…