Effects of the Wall Street Crash
- America recalled the money they had loaned to Germany
- Factories were producing less, so some of their workers became sacked and unemployed
- This meant that there were fewer people with money to buy goods so factories sold fewer goods. Therefore, even more workers were sacked.
- Farmers were also affected as the unemployed bought less food and farm prices dropped, forcing many farmers and farm workers into unemployment.
- The German economy has fell into what was known as the Great Depression. This was world wide.
- Unemployment kept rising
- By 1933 - 6 million Germans were out of work
- Misery and dispair
- Many middle class and working class families lost their homes.
- Business men went bankrupt
- Small farmers lost their farms
- Many Germans blamed the government for the situation and lost confidence in democracy.
- Many turned to extremist parties who seemed to have a solution to the economic problems
- All this misery was just the opportunity that Hitlet and the Nazis needed.
1 of 3
- 1924 - Hitler released from prision and started to reorganise the Nazi Party to make it more effective in elections
- Hitler set up the Hitler Youth for boys and a new fighting force - the **
- Marches and torchlight rallies were staged to publicise Nazi ideas.
- More and more people joined the party but in the elections of 1928 the Nazis did not do well.
- This situation changed when the Great Depression hit Germany.
- Voters were increasingly attracted to Hitler's ideas.
2 of 3
- Hitler set out many of his ideas in the book he wrote when he was in prision ('Mein Kampf')
- Hitlet beleived that the weak leadership of the Weimar governments had caused many of Germany's problems. He said that Germany needed a strong leader, like himself.
- Hitler also said that the Nazis would make Germany a strong country again by overturning the Treaty Of Versailles.
- The Nazis would then make Germany a great millitary power by increasing the size of the army.
- Hitlet said that he would make Germany prosperous again after the misery of the Depression
- Inferior Races - Eastern European, Asian and African, Jews and Travellers
- Hitler wanted all Germans to work together to make Germany great again. ('the peoples community')
- Hitler hated communism and pledged himself to destroy it.
3 of 3
Similar History resources: