The problems associated with an ageing population
- As the population gets older there will be an increase in degenerative diseases such as cancers, heart diseases and Alzheimer's.
- Specific housing needs - such as homes without stairs and wider doorways for wheelchair access.
- The government will have to provide more sheltered accommodations and nursing homes.
- People are living long lives; 15-20 years after retiring, so they are claiming pensions for longer.
- The annual cost of dementia care is expected to double within the next 20 years to £47 billion.
1 of 1