Positive Christian Views
- Animals were created before humans.
- Animals are God's creation and therefore worthy of consideration.
- Animals are sendient beings, meaning they can feel pleasure and pain.
- In the Old Testament animals are commended to rest on the Sabbath.
- Noah's Ark, the animals were saved, while the humans died.
- In Gensis 1, God provides for the wild animal grass and leafy food and humans with grain and fruit.
- In Gensis 2, God makes the animals and humans from the soil therefore we're made from the same thing.
- God askes man to name animals as they made companions for man.
Negative Christian Views
- God gave humans domain over the animals.
- After the flood and Noah, God allowed man to eat meet.
- The early Church fathers, tell us not to take the creation story literally - it is just showing God's great power over the Universe.
- Animals are given by God to unable our survival.
- God tells the Jews which food and animals are fit to eat, clean and unclean animals.
Now a days animals are used in postive and negative ways, for example animal testing and pets.
Alternatives to Animal Testing
Principles for the use of animals in research:
Replancement - non-animal methods should always be chosen over animal methods.
Reduction - using as little animals as possible to prevent wide spread suffering.
Refinement - minising pain wherever possible.
Some alternatives include:
- Cell culture.
- Human based experiments.
- Computer simulated.