Slides in this set
1. Muhammed received messages through God, his followers wrote the down. The muslims
holy book is this =Qu'ran. Qu'ran is made up of Surahs (Chapters). Islam means to surrender
2. Many divisions of muslims. 2 main divisions are Sunnis (the largest one) and Shi'as.
Muslims belive they are all part of one worldwide community called Ummah.
3. Muslim declaration of faith = Shahadah (1 of the 5 pillars of Islam) is the first thing any
one who wants to be a Muslim must do as this demonstrates one of the teachings that is
essential to Islam which is that there's only 1 God. This belief is called Tawhid. The greatest
sin anyone can commit is beliveing in multiple Gods, this is called Shirk.
3. Muslims say that you shouldn't speculate about Gods nature, if you want to know about
him observe nature and the things he has created. The unity of creation proves that God is
one. Creation can point a person towards Allah. Therefore there are no pictures of God or
Muhammed (in case people start worshipping it). Instead geometrical swirling patterns
represent Gods eternal nature. This is called Arabesque.
4. Muslim story of Adam and Eve, Allah doesn't cast out Adam and Eve from the garden of
Eden as he is compassionate and forgiving. This means present day humans are not fallen
beings. Shows he is just and fair, will reward the good and punish the wrongdoers but will
also forgive.…read more
Angels and Demons
1. Muslims believe that there are other beings in the world but we can't see them.
Angels = no body, possess no free will. Called Mala'ikah.
Jinns = Can be bad or good. Cheif Jinn is Shaytan and he is evil. Shaytan refused to bow
down to Adam when Allah told him to so was cast out of heaven. In the Last Judgement he
will be sent to hell.
2. Allah created the universe, Allah will bring it to an end. He has given us free-will as a test
to see if we choose good or evil. If we choose good we go to heaven if we choose evil we go
3. Muslims believe Allah has foreknowledge of everything. Some might say that if he knows
what it going to happen then free-will is just an illusion to humans. Muslims reply by saying
that God works in mysterious ways and his nature is beyond our simple human minds to
understand so we shouldn't speculate on it but just accept.
4. Muslims believe that the resurrection of the body will happen on the Last Judgement .
Meanwhile a persons soul will be taken by the Angel of Death to a place of waiting called
Barzakh. Last Judgement= record of deeds will be looked at the the prophets will make a
decision for every soul. Good souls= join the prophets to party in heaven (youth, beauty, is
paradise). Bad souls= go to hell (place of torment, boiling water, balck smoke and scorching
5. Hell is not eternal, believers will come out of hell eventually as God is compassionate and
forgiving. Heaven and Earth also don't last forever.…read more
Life of Mohammed
1. Islamic practises such as Hajj and Ramadan existed before Mohammed.
2. Mohammeds father died when he was born, his mother died when he was 6 and his
grandfather died when he was 8. He was brought up by his uncle Abu Talib. He was a
successful merchant who married his employer Khadijah.
3. The ruling families in Mecca were called the Quraysh. They were extremely rich whereas
other families in Mecca were extremely poor. The Quraysh cashed in on the pilgrims coming
to Mecca to worship the Ka'bah (other gods and goddesses were worshiped at the Ka'bah as
well as Allah at the time)…read more
Life of Mohammed (continued)
1. Revelation= Muhammed went to Mount Hira to pray in Ramadan when the ANGEL
JIBREEL said `Recite' and squeezed him until all the breath came out of his body 3 times until
Muhammed felt the words of Allah come out of his mouth. Called The LAILAT UL QADR
(night of power). He got revelations from God frequently after that and each time he got
them they were incredibly painful.
2. Beginning of Preaching= thought he went mad initially until Khadijahs cousin reassured
him that it was the message of God. Preached his revelations to Meccans. The poor listened
to him the most as he stressed equality and that the rich should help the poor. His teachings
weren't anything you however were a constant reminder of things already known e.g. Rich
should help the poor.
3. Resistance=Meccans already believed in Allah but didn't believe in Tawhid as the had
various other Gods they worshipped in the Ka'bah. Many people came as pilgrims to Mecca
to worship the idols, without them there would be no profit for the rich and Mecca was
believed to be doomed for extinction. They also minded when Muhammed kept preaching
about how Allahs condeming the rich for their irresponsibility. Muhammed also initially
taught followers that Jerusalem is the holy city and they should pray towards it.…read more
Life of Mohammed (continued)
1. As a result of preaching the idea of Tawhid, Muhammed had many enemies. Abu Talib
was a powerful man so he didn't get killed, otherwise he would have.
2. Trip to Heaven=Muhammed was sleeping by the Ka'bah when he was awoken by Jibreel
and take to Jerusalem via horse where he talked to the prophets Jesus and Moses and saw
Gods throne. Jibreel left him by the Ka'bah.
3. Hijjra = Quraysh wanted Muhammed to die and conveniently the citizens of Yathrib
(Medina) wanted a neutral leader (Muhammed) to rule over them as the Arab and Jewish
tribes were always fighting and they liked Muhammed teachings on equality and
brotherhood. He accepted their offer and went with his followers. This migration was known
as Hijra. Muslims date their calender from here as this is strictly where Islam began.
4. Meccans want to kill Muhammed= Meccans followed Muhammed to Yathrib but couldn't
catch him. Yathrib changed its name to Medina and the first mosque was built there.
Muhammed hoped that the Jews would embrace (convert) to Islam but they showed
resistance and tried to tell the Meccans where he was so he changed the holy city from
Jerusalem to the Ka'bah in Mecca.…read more
Life of Mohammed (continued)
1. Mecca fought against Muhammeds Medina in the Battle Of Badr but the Meccans lost.
Muhammed organised a truce and the meccans broke it. Therefore he marched to Mecca
with 10,000 followers and instructed that if everyone stayed indoors, no one would get hurt
and the meccans did that. He then circled the Ka'bah 7 times and destroyed all the idols in it.
Now Mecca was the holy city of Allah.
2. United Tribes=Muhammed married a girl from each tribe uniting them. Almost everyone
converted to Islam.
3. Muhammeds death = He know he was going to die so went to the Mount of Mercy where
he preached to his followers for the last time. He the died in Medina.
4. Who's leads next: People thought this his fried Abu Bakr was going to take over preaching
but instead he said that although Muhammed has died, God is still alive and never dies so
5. What the Muslims thought of Christianity and Judaism=they preached Allahs message but
their followers were corrupted so altered Gods message. Muhammed preached the exact
word of God and he is the last prophet.…read more