Slides in this set
· Abolish Treaty of Versailles hated it and the people
that signed it `November criminals.'
· Expand German territory get back what was taken in
the Treaty, re-unite with Austria and give more
Lebensraum (living room) for his master race of
· Defeat Communism Hitler was anti-communist and
wanted Russian territory believed they wanted
German. Also thought Bolsheviks helped bring about
the defeat of Germany in WW1.
· Create union with Austria thought they belonged
· Hitler began rearming Germany as soon as he came into power
· Drafted unemployed workers into the army which helped reduce
unemployment, began to make Germany strong again and challenge
the terms of TOV limited to 100,000 men.
· Rearmament was secret until 1935 when they staged a military rally
· Conscription was reintroduced in 1936.
· Rearmament boosted Nazi support and was very popular.
· Britain didn't stop Germany rearming as they felt the TOV was unfair
anyway and the limits weren't sufficient to defend from an attack on
Germany. Also, they thought Germany was a good buffer against
· In 1935 Britain signed the Anglo-German Naval Agreement allowing
Germany to increase its navy to up to 35% of the British navy.
· France didn't support Britain's attitude to German rearmament but
there was little they could do as they weren't strong enough to
challenge them.…read more
Saar plebiscite (1935):
· Saar region of Germany had been run by the
League of Nations since 1919 after WW1.
· In 1935 the League held a plebiscite (as
promised) so that people could vote as to
whether or not the region should return to
· Around 90% of the population voted to return
it to Germany.
· This was legal and within the terms of the
Treaty and so was a morale boost for Hitler.…read more
Remilitarisation of the Rhineland (1936):
· Hitler moved his troops into the Rhineland in March 1936.
· Under the Treaty of Versailles the Rhineland was to remain a
· Hitler's excuse for the remilitarisation was that he felt
threatened by France and the USSR's `Mutual Assistance Pact'
which said they would defend each other from German
attack. Germany had been encircled.
· The re-occupation was a gamble as the German army was still
poorly equipped. If the French challenged the move, the
German army were ordered to pull out they weren't ready
· Hitler knew Britain wouldn't intervene but France was the risk
however they didn't intervene as they didn't know the
extent of German rearmament and there was an upcoming
election in France so nobody wanted to take responsibility for
plunging France into war.…read more
Spanish Civil War (1936):
· In 1936 civil war broke out in Spain between
Communists and right wing rebels under General
· Hitler saw this as an opportunity to fight
Communism and to try out his new armed forces.
· German aircraft made devastating bombing raids on
civilian populations in many Spanish cities.
· It proved modern weapons could create severe