Slides in this set
Daily hassles are small events that occur during a normal
day such as forgetting to lock the house and being
late for college.
One explanation of daily hassles is accumulation. Minor
daily hassles create persistent irritations,
frustrations and overloads which result in longer
stress related effects such as anxiety and
Another explanation is amplification. big life changes
make it harder for a person to cope with daily hassles
and so start to have a longer impact on that person.
For example, a death of a family member with losing
· Gave 2 questionnaires to 1st year university French
· One measured daily hassles the other measured
symptoms of depression.
· Measured amplification as they suffered a big life
change going to university
· Found that 41% showed some depressive behaviour.
Positive correlation between depressive symptoms
and daily hassles
· This shows that daily hassles and illness are linked
but doesn't tell us that daily hassles cause stress as
it is a correlation…read more
· Daily hassles vs. life changes: daily hassles are more
damaging to your health than life changes (daily hassles
are 6 times more damaging than life changes). This is
because daily hassles accumulate and we don't seek social
support for daily hassles.
· Retrospective data collection: data has been collected
from a persons memory. This is a problem as the memory
can be inaccurate and so findings from studies can be
· Correlational evidence: whilst studies show a link between
daily hassles and illness, they don't show that daily hassles
cause illness. This is a problem as if we knew the cause of
illness, we could prevent it in the future.…read more
Daily uplifts study, Gervais
· Asked some nurses to keep a diary for a month and
record all daily hassles and uplifts such as being paid
a compliment and having to cancel appointments which
makes patients angry.
· Found that uplifts counteracted the negative effects
of hassles and improved performance of their job.
· This shows that daily uplifts are effective in reducing
daily hassles.…read more