RESEARCH ON DAILY HASSLES
- Measuring Hassles and Uplifts
- HSUP measures respondents attitudes towards daily situations; can evaluate the effect on someones wellbeing.
- Daily Hassles
- The relationship between daily hassles and mental health of students during initial transition period from school to university was studied.
- First year students at a french uni completed hassles part of HSUP and Beck Depression Inventory
- 41% of students suffered depressive symptons and positive correlation between scores on hassles and incidence of depressive symptons.
- Daily hassles are a significant risk factor for depression.
- Daily Uplifts
- Nurses were asked to keep a diary for a month to record each hassle and uplift at work; also asked to rate own performance.
- End of the months the daily hassles increased job strain and decreased job performance.
- They felt some of the uplifts counteracted the negative effects of their daily hassles.. as well as helping to overcome stresss.
- Daily uplifts also improved performance job.
- Daily Hassles Versus Life Changes
- Daily hassles are comparable to life changes for stress.
- In an australian study,…