1. What does Cohen say subcultures usually do to mainstream values?
- Reject most, but keep some of them.
- Evaluate them.
- Invert them.
- Consider them.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Essentially what do [the main social group that Cohen looks at] strive towards?
- A society without hierarchies.
- To succeed in alternative status hierarchy.
- Respect and appreciation from Aristocrats.
- The elimination of education.
3. Which social group are the main example used in Cohen's approach?
- (White) "Under Class" Females
- (Black) Middle Class Boys
- (White) Working Class Boys
- (White) Working Class Females
4. What is Cohen's subcultural theory a development of?
- Kai Erikson's view that society maintains a level of crime, not aims to remove it.
- Durkheim's Functionalist approach to crime.
- Robert Merton's Strain Theory.
- Eileen Leonard's view on gender in crime.
5. Which adaptation could you argue that those who undergo Status Frustration fit into closest?
- Rebellion (as they replace the values and means with their own).
- Ritualism (as they replace the values and means with their own).
- Retreatism (as they replace the values and means with their own).
- Innovation (as they replace the values and means with their own).