How accurate is it to say that the most important result of the collectivisation of agriculture was that it imposed control in the countryside?
Take into consideration -
- Collectivisation was a failure
- Ideology & leadership/party support
Control - does Stalin control the countryside?
- By 1941 all farms are collectivised.
- Kolkhoz farms - farms where the farmers are entitled to some profit when they've met their target - are the most successful.
- There's still resistance in the countryside - people slaughtered their livestock. The amount of meat eaten by urban workers fell by 2/3 between 1928 and 1932.
- Peasants no longer owned their land and so had little incentive to work hard, and productivity…