Impact of Collectivisation

HideShow resource information

Impacts on Peasants

  • By 1939 99% of land was collectivised in the Soviet Union with peasants living on one of the 250,000 types of farms
  • Soviet Govt would take the 90% of the production and give it to the industrial workers leaving the remaining 10% with peasants
  • Due to a combination of bad harvests and food shortages a famine broke out in 1932 with an estimated 7 million peasants starving to death
  • There now began to be mass resistance to collectivisation particular from the peasantry and it's more affluent class- the Kulaks- grave opposition
  • Collectivisation was not stopped due to Stalin's totalitarian attitude and so many peasants began to walk out of their farms and join factories- the Soviet Government were happy with this as it would help speed up the start of industrialisation
  • Many Kulaks however were still angry at collectivisation and so Stalin used De-kulakisation the Kulaks were liquidised and sent to Siberia- the majority did not make the journey alive and most were wiped off- Stalin was pleased about this as they were very anti-communist and pro capitalist
1 of 2

More Impacts

  • In 1937 through collectivisation a good harvest was produced which allowed more surplus grain to be either given to the workers or exported to other European countries to provide vital for revenue for the USSR in the run up to WW2
  • Many animals were killed and eaten by peasants due to their lack of food and so numbers were recovered
  • Although collectivisation was to blame for the deaths of 15 million people in the 1930s, the Soviet Government were please about the results
2 of 2

Comments

No comments have yet been made

Similar History resources:

See all History resources »See all Russia - 19th and 20th century resources »