The question on identifying presentational devices
The second question relates to the way the text looks. To get all the marks on this question you need to do two things:
- List the presentational devices the text uses.
- Explain why these devices are used and what effect they have.
To answer the first part of the question you need be able to recognise presentational devices such as:
- Headings (titles) and sub-headings
- Font size and style (bold, italic etc)
- Layout features (bullets, boxed text)
- Structure (short or long paragraphs)
- Quotations (things people said either in quotation marks or highlighted in the text)
A good way of revising is to analyse any text you see or read. Pick up a magazine and look at a page at random. You should be able to spot a whole range of devices being used.
Why presentational devices are used
The devices used depend on:
- Purpose - what the text is trying to do (eg inform, advise, persuade).
- Audience - who it is trying to talk to (eg children, adults, men, women).
Choices in layout…