Showing you understand GAPS
Genre means the form of your non-fiction text. The lists below describe a few different forms.
If your non-fiction text is a letter:
- put your address at the top right of the paper
- put the address of the person you are writing to at the top left of the paper
- start with "Dear..."
- sign "Yours sincerely," (if you know the person's name) or "Yours faithfully," (if you don't - eg if you're addressing an organisation).
If your text is a newsletter:
- give the newsletter a bold heading
- use all the presentational devices you think you need - eg picture boxes and captions, subheadings, boxes for quotations etc
If it is a magazine article:
- use a heading
- write an introductory paragraph
- use a by-line ("by X" or "writes X")
TIP: make sure you understand what different genres look like. If in doubt…