Had Liberal governments created a more united nation by 1900?
There were many problems facing the Italian Governments such as:
- The North was industrial. Engineering centres of Milan, Turin and Genoa. While the South was still agricultural, and mainly poor
- 1880’s widescale migration to growing towns
- Medium sized farms for commercial farming only
- Dialects varied from North to South
- Majority of population was rural
- Majority of population were working in small agricultural farms as labourers.
- In the south there was little industry, used to be a “grain basket” but now exhausted.
- Frequent social unrest in the south, many powerful clans and mafias in the south.
Government efforts to unite Italy:
- Liberal politicians believed that ordinary people shouldn’t be able to take part in political affairs. Lacked universal suffrage, not that many illeterate people could vote causing rifts.
- Believed in a parliament but of upper classes and the elite, not the…