CAPABILITIES AND LIMITATIONS OF ICT
CORE USES OF ICT
Fast Repetitive Processing
Computers can carry out millions of repetitive calculations per second - something that would be very labour intensive and costly without computers.
- Utility Billing (Gas etc.)
Vast Storage Capacity
Computer systems store 100s billions of data items. With the large capacity of modern hard drives, vast amounts of data can be stored electronically.
- Banking records
- Customer databases
- Stock control
- Government databases
Searching and Combining Data
- ICT systems have the ability to search and combine data in many different ways.
- Networks and the Internet enable data to be collected quickly from different sources.
- This data can then be combined to produce useful information
- E.g. the police obtain data from the DVLA, CCTV footage, mobile phone and e-mail…