Unit 6 - allergies
An allergy is an abnormal reponse of the immune system due to an otherwise harmless substance called allergens.
On the first exposure the allergen will;
- Be mistaken as a harmless substance by the B- Lymphocytes
- The B-Lymphocytes produce antibodies designed to match the allergen.
- They then release and attach themselves to mast cells
- This sensitises the person to that allergen.
- On second exposure the mast cells will produce histamine.
Airborne allergies are breathed in and effects the mucus membrane and nasal cavities leading…