Improving the Singapore River
The Singapore River and Kallang Basin are both major port areas. They have seen intense population and industrial growth, and are now paying for it. The problems caused are;
- foul waterways with no underwater life
- raw sewage flowing into river from squatter settlements
- river basin used as dumping ground by farmers
- chemical pollution from industry and ships
How are things being improved?
- squatter settlements have been moved to proper residential areas
- industrial estates now have strict environmental laws
- chicken and pig farms moved from alongside river
- walkways and paths built
- trees planted
- beach improved
- recreational facilities developed.
1 of 1
Similar Geography resources: