What are the three types of punishment?
- Retribution - paying for their crimes; punished; criminals suffer.
- Deterrence - to frighten people from committing crimes (to deter)
- Reform - To change there lives; give them an education Ect.
- Protection - protect society from criminals that cannot/ will not reform
Why is Justice is important for Christians?
- Christians believe that God is a God of justice - will reward the good and punish those who are bad
- Bible says that people should be treated fairly/ to be ruled fairly (god)
- The bible shows that Jesus showed that people should be treated fairly E.g. the poor - ' treat others as you would want to be treated
- Christians are often invloved in working for justice E.g. Working for charities, working for poor people
- World councill of churches - should work for 'justice, peace and the integrity of creation'.
Why is justice important for Muslims?
- The world should be ruled justly. and God will reward the good and punish the Bad.
- The Qur'an says that God is just
- The Qur'an says that Muslims Should treat people fairly.
- Role as vice-gerents - to treat people fairly
- The Shari'ah is based on justice for everyone and equal rights
- Mulims Work for a fairer world e.g. Muslims Aid works with the poor.
What are the Christian views against Capital punis
Against because it is seen as being un-
- Jesus came to reform / save sinners, a dead person cannot be reformed
- Jesus said 'an eye for an eye' and a 'tooth for tooth' is wrong
- All life is sacred, if abortion and euthanasia are wrong then so too is this
- Most christian churches have made staments commending it
- agree with non religious argument against capital punishment
What are the Christian views for Capital punishmen
- the old testament gives the death penalty for some offences
- Catholic Church and Church of england have not canceled their statments that capital punishment can be used by the state
- Christian thinkers like Aquinas said - Protection of society is more important than reforming the criminal
- Agree with the non religious views for
What are the Islamic views on capital punishment
Almost all agree with capital punishment because:
- Punishment is set down by God in the Qur'an
- The Qur'an and the Shari'ah state that death is the punishment for murder, adultery and denying islam.
- Muhammad (pbuh) agreed with capital punishment and sentenced people to death
- Agree with the non-religious views agreeing
Some Muslims disagree basing there argument on the Non-religious views against the death penalty. other reasons:
- Recommended in thw Qur'an but is not compulsory
- The shari'ah says that murder victims faimlys can exept Blood money from the murderer, instead of his death.
(most Christians) attitudes to Drugs and alcohol i
All against Drugs as they are ilegal and they abuse the Body the Body is seen as God's temple.
Alcohol and tobacco - some believe that moderation is the correct approach:
- Jesus's first miracle - turn water into wine
- Paul said drink in moderation
- Jesus used bread and wine at the last supper - tradition to be continued
- Most Churhes use alcoholic wine communion services
- moderation is in the Catholic Church - catechism
what is the attitude to drugs and alcohol in Islam
- The Qur'an - ways in which Satan tries to keep people from God and prayer
- Muhammad said that every intoxicant is forbiden
- Muslim lawyers - Form of suicide you are harming your body, suicide is a great sin
- Muhammad said that they must not sell alcohol or have anything to do with it