We shouldn't be shocked...
What is it about ?
Explaining why the public aren't bothered about global warming.
Fact + opinion
- He mainly puts his own point across, but also brings other points of view into it
- 'they think everyone sees the world the way they do'
- 'Scientists are surer every week that this future is catastrophic'
- He describes both activists and citizens in negative and positive ways
- activists-'hyper-aware','activists have taken this on board'
- citizens-'self-regarding','this is not evil'
- 'mortal threat' immediacy, death
- 'with a yawn' imagery- informal
- 'It shoudn't','But people don't' short sentence- follows a long one, emphasises it
1 of 2
We shouldn't be shocked...(2)
- 'mainly talk to other activists' arrogant, ignorant
- 'most citizens, most ordinary people' activists are extraordinary, not normal
- 'the difference between activists and citizens' implies there is a battle between them
- 'unconcerned at the greatest threat' paradox, the public are naive
- 'scientists are surer every week' continuous, could be even surer by now
- 'activists are on top of the agenda' different, above others
- 'hyper-aware' over analytical, over the top
- 'sounding the alarm' memorable ending phrase
Effectiveness of headline and layout
- Describing the public in a negative way to attract those who do care and who think the same
- It is a short article so people will want to read it
2 of 2