How significant was MLK at the time? Really?
- He was a key figure in the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
- He was a key figure in peaceful protest and showed black citizens they could exist peacefully beside whites; very different to Black Power movement, Panthers etc.
- Had he been violent things would have turned out very differently.
- 'I have a dream' speech was inspiring and peacefully let those in power know how unfair things were for blacks
- However, in terms of historical events he did not do a huge amount.
MLK and Montgomery
- He established the Montgomery Improvement Association (MIA), which headed the boycott
- He was arrested during a march and served 2 weeks of his sentence, his arrest drew media attention
- His leadership qualities were established during this time
- The boycott led to King establishing the SCLC