- The remission of so many years in purgatory.
- Living would do good works which would in return take years off purgatroy for their departed loved ones.
- Authority to do this was based upon TREASURY OF MERITS.
- Pope distributed `SURPLUS MERITS` which belonged to the saints.
- unclear whether the power of remission of sins could be excercised on behalf of the dead.
1 of 3
- Early 1517 Luther published theory that a man can only be saved by total dependecen upon Grace of God.
- September 1517 Luther wrote nincety seven theses against Duns Scotus and William Occum.
- 1517 wrote ninety five theses against indlulgences; intention was not to chalenge Church- only circulated around friends.
- One of readers published theses, printed editions appeared in leipzig, Madgebourg and Basle.
- By May 1518 Luther was convinced God's justice was a gift given by God to man out of grace.
2 of 3
Initial papal reactions
- Tetzel viewed Luther's these as heretical.
- Congregration persuaded breifed its representative in Rome to obtain condemnation of Luther as a heretic.
- Luther defended position in a series of publications `resolutions` in sermons.
3 of 3
Similar History resources: