- Created by: Haden Cornish
- Created on: 28-04-13 15:01
- 'massiveness, solidity and purposefulness' - Imposing figure who will dominate the play.
- 'one person and one line of enquiry at a time' - Does things his way so Prietley can build events.
- 'its my duty to ask questions' - Responsibilities are taken very seriously.
- 'never seemed like an ordinary police Inspector' - Extraordinary or unusual?
- 'divide the reponsibiltiy' - makes everybody share the guilt aand responsibility.
- 'more impressionable' - speaks to the younger generation.
- 'we'll have to share our guilt'
1 of 4
MR AND MRS BIRLING QUOTES
- 'heavy looking rather poretentuos man' - Size makes him look threatening.
- 'a hard-head pratical man of business' - Suceeds in business and doesn't let emotions stand in the way.
- 'yes dear, i know i'm talking too much' - Airs his views. Wants to be focal point.
- 'i'm a public man' - Expects respect and thinks his position will save him.
- 'a man... has to look after himself' - Sums up his philosophy.
- 'public scandal' - All that he cares about.
- 'i'm still on the bench' - Trying to use his influence.
- 'rather cold woman' and 'her husband's social superior' - Unfriendly and looks down at most people.
- 'please don't contradict me like that' - Doesn't expect people to diagree with her.
- 'It's disguiting to me' - Can't except Gerald's affair.
- 'the most prominent member of the committee' - Uses her infliuence to make decisions.
2 of 4
MRS BIRLING CONT. AND SHEILA ERIC QUOTES
MRS BIRLING CONT.:
- 'girls of that class' and 'girl of that sort' - her dismissive view of lower classes.
- 'a trifle impertinent' 'offence' 'gross impertinence' - Annoyed by Inspector's lack of respect.
- 'oh, how horrible! Was it an accident' - Shows genuine concern for Eva.
- 'i had her turned out of a job' - Facing up to the responsibity of what she did to Eva.
- 'it's you two who are being childish' - Stands up to older generation.
- 'of course he knows' - Acknowledges the Inspectors power.
- 'these girls aren't cheap labour - they're poeple' - Shows Sheila has feelings and understands.
3 of 4
GERALD AND ERIC QUOTES
- 'easy, well-bred, young man-about town' - wealthy and a good upbringing.
- 'we're respectable citizens' - theme of social position.
- 'squiffy' - a drunk.
- 'a chap easily turns nasty' - his behaviour with Daisy/Eva.
- 'you've been spoilt'
4 of 4
Similar English Literature resources: