BACKGROUND TO CAESAR
How was Rome governed in the time of Caesar?
What was the first triumverate and why was it important to Caesar?
What was Caesar doing in the 50’s BC?
1 of 5
How Was Rome Governed At The Time of Caesar?
- A Series of elected magistrates ran the Roman world
- Headed by two consuls who changed annually
- Roman elite were highly competitive among themselves
2 of 5
What Was the First Triumvirate and Why Was it Impo
- First Triumvirate: three leading politicians who were politically allied. They helped each other politically to stay in power and grow more powerful.
- Three leading politicians: Crassus, Pompey and Caesar
- Crassus: Rome's richest man
- Pompey: Rome's greatest military general in 60's and 70's BC
- Caesar: most junior and least experienced out of the three. He needed Crassus and Pompey for their influence and support.
3 of 5
What Was Caesar Doing in the 50's BC?
- Elected Consul: 59BC
- Proconsul: 58BC
- Provinces: Borders of North Italy and South-East Europe
- When Tribes in Gaul started migrating south towards Italy- Caesar sent to deasl with situation
- Lead to conquest of Gaul!
- In 56BC, as his term of office was coming to an end, Caesar secured for himself a 5 year extension of power at the conference of Luca, which gave him both the time and platform for further conquest
4 of 5
A History of Roman Britain - Peter Salway
- "Caeser himself came comparably late to miltary comand, but he had shown natural genius for it"
5 of 5