First 440 words of the document:
Religion, Poverty and Wealth
a] What is meant by an immoral occupation?
Moral = a job God would approve of.
Immoral = a job God would disapprove of.
b] What occupations might Christians believe to be immoral?
- Sanctity of Life
- "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."
- Murder against the Ten Commandments
c] What do Christians teach about concern for the poor?
- Matthew: "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as
the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on streets, to be honoured by men.
Then your father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
- Luke: "Sell everything you have. Distribute the money to the poor, and you will
have treasure in heaven." Literally? Or within reason? Monks, nuns, etc.
Self-sufficient: to help a country rely on themselves rather than on aid.
OPPORTUNITY INTERNATIONAL charity which gives out small loans i/o to help
the poor become self-sufficient.
Relative poverty = poverty in relation to rest of country.
Absolute poverty = 3rd World Poverty
Vocation = a calling
Agape = unconditional love
d] Why might Christians give money to charity?
- Mark: "Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put, and
watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich
people threw in large amounts, but a poor widow came and put in two very small
copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Jesus said: `This woman has given
more than all you rich people."
- The Parable of the Sheep and the Goats: "...for I was thirsty, and you gave me
something to drink, I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was a
stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick
and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
- Matthew: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on Earth, where moth and
rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourself
treasure in heaven...For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
- Luke: "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich
man to enter the kingdom of God."
Other pages in this set
Here's a taster:
People must look after their family before they worry about the poor.'
Discuss this statement. You should include different, supported points of view
and a personal viewpoint. You must refer to Christianity in your answer.
"He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward him for what he
"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests
of others.…read more