- Created by: A.B.
- Created on: 13-04-13 14:56
R.S Short Course Bible Teachings and Social Factors
Section 1 - Believeing in God
- Reasons for belief (religious upbringing and experience)
- Design and Causation arguments
- Evil and Suffering
- "love the Lord your God with all your heart, strength and mind"
- "God is love"
- "you shall have no Gods before me"
- "it was you who created my conscience"
- "faith without action is dead"
- "only the fool says 'there is no God'"
- "not to have known suffering is not to be truly human"
- "what can be known about God is plain to see because God has shown it"
- In 2011, England and Wales 61% religious, 39% no religion.
- People who describe themselves as non-religious in the UK has risen from 31% to 50% between 1983 and 2009.
- Agnosticasm = not being sure whether God exists.
- Athiesm = believing that God does not exist.
- Conversion = when your life is changed by giving yourself to God.
- Free Will = the idea that human beings are free to make their own choices.
- Miracle = Something which seems to break the laws of science and therefore makes you think only God could have done it.
- Moral Evil = actions done by humans which cause suffering.
- Natural Evil = things which cause suffering but have nothing to do with humans.
- Numinous = the feeling of a presence greater than yourself.
- Omnibenevolent = the belief that God is all good.
- Omnipotent = the belief that God is all powerful.
- Omniscient = the belief that God is all knowing.
- Prayer = an attempt to contact God, ususally through words.
Section 2 - Matters of Life and Death
- Life after death
- Euthanasia and Suicide
- Wealth, poverty and disease
- Money and charity
- Parable of the sheep and the goats
- "easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than it is a rich man to enter heaven"
- Parable of the rich man and Lazarus
- "thou shall not kill"
- "whoever believes in him may not die but have eternal life"
- "store up riches for yourself in heaven"
- "the love of money is the cause of all kinds of evil"
- "in my father's mansion there are many rooms"
- "the Lord gave and the Lord has taken away"
- "no one gets to God except through me"
- "you fashioned me in my mother's womb"
- Abortion was made legal in 1967.
- Abortion can take place up to 24 weeks.
- 1961 Suicide Act made suicide legal.
- Euthanasia is still a criminal offence.
- There have been 12 prosecutions for euthanasia since 2005 in the UK.
- The UK government donates 0.7% to charity.
- Abortion: the removal of…