- Carbo-loading: involves 'super compensation'of glycogen storing.
- Involves starving the body of carbs for a week prior to performance so that stored of glycogen are depleted
- During the week the athletes consume a diet high in proteins and fats
- Half way through the week the training is tapered down and a min. of 70% carb diet is eaten
- benefits long duration perfoermers and durable sub maximal events such as the marathon
- can be a danger of having depleted stores of glycogen
- weight gain due to water retention
- poor training due to lack of carbs