1. why was Britain rejected from the EEC in 1963?
- Britain was too involved in the cold war
- Charles De Gaulle feared our special relationship with the US and thought Britain cheap food policy would affect the French economy
- De Gaulle didnt like us
- The commonwealth didnt let Britain in
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. what was Duncan sandy's white paper about?
- to introduce conscription
- better sea wall protection
- reduce of conventional forces, use nuclear weapons as a deterrent and prop
- to increase the military involvement in the cold war
3. what economic things did Wilson introduce?
- butskellism was brought back
- Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) and Prices and Income Board was set up in feb 1965
- wage freezes
- more inheritance tax
4. what were reactions to this?
- the Nottinghill riots in 1958
- in April 1968 Enoch Powell (Conservative politican) made his 'rivers of blood' speech about immigration
- 75% of people didnt support interracial marriages and 4/5 wouldnt live next to an immigrant
- London docker workers, smithfield meat porters and heathrow airport workers all showed their support for Powell and he recieved 20,000 letters in support.
5. what happened in November 1967?
- bank rate raised to 16% crisis level which meant the sterling had to be devalued by 14%
- the outbreak of the Arab-Israeli war broked the Suez canal which harmed trade
- worst trade deficit ever
- dock strikes in London and Merseyside