1. What is the main reason it is medically beneficial to grow and investigate cultures of microorganisms?
- Their reactions to various new antibiotics can be observed, to see the effectiveness of a developing drug
- Their reproductive rate under different conditions can be observed, and thus accurate prognoses and medical predictions made
- The effectiveness of specialised scientific equipment in dealing with microorganisms can be observed
- Medical researchers can earn money! ;)
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why did many medical professionals not initially accept Semmelweis's proposal?
- Pathogens had not been discovered, so he could not prove why this would make a difference
- The fatality rate in hospitals was relatively low anyway, and they didn't think it mattered
- He was only a young doctor, who had made no former discoveries
- His suggestion appeared to counteract previous findings by other scientists
3. 'Pathogen' is synonymous with (another word for) 'disease'. True or false?
- False: Pathogens are microorganisms that cause disease, they are not the disease themselves
- True: Pathogens are the microscopic embodiment of any given disease
4. Which of the following is not a method by which white blood cells combat pathogens?
- Change their shape and ingest the pathogen through surrounding and engulfing it
- Produce and emit flagellites, which begin to break down all constituent amino acids of the bacteria, starting at the flagella
- Emit specialised antibodies to destroy the antigens (surface proteins) of the pathogens
- Produce and emit antitoxins, which counteract the effects of pathogens' toxins. Antitoxins are specialised
5. Genetic alterations can result in a new forms of pathogens. These new forms may develop into entire strands of antibiotic resistant bacteria through...
- Genetic descendancy
- Natural selection
- Selective inheritance
- The theory of acquired characteristics