1. Vaccines contain pathogens. True or false?
- True: But only dead or inactive forms of them; in this way, immunity can develop at little or no risk to the patient
- False: This would be an entirely unnecessary risk; immunity is developed more effectively without the presence of pathogens to elicit illness
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Antibiotics are drugs which kill pathogens, or infective bacteria. True or false?
- True: Antibiotics destroy the pathogens, thereby killing them. They are 'anti-bio', 'against-life'
- False: Antibiotics merely reduce the pathogen to an ineffective and harmless state. For efficiency, these ineffective pathogens can then be removed for use in vaccines, for immunisation
3. A seemingly random alteration in the composition of genetic material during its mitotic replication in asexual reproduction is referred to as a...
4. Which of the following factors does not affect metabolic rate?
- Inherited factors
- Physical activity
- Size of the organism
- Proportion of muscle to fat
5. Which of the following is an apparatus usually used in the development of controlled bacteria cultures?
- Vaccinating loop
- Inoculating loop
- Immunising loop
- Sterilising loop