1. The skin prevents many pathogens entering the body. Which of the following is another bodily defence mechanism?
- Salivary enzymes, such as amylase, break down the microorganisms until they're ineffective
- Epidermal pores secrete a toxin deadly to most pathogens, but undetectable to us without scientific equipment
- Pathogens become trapped by mucus, and are killed by the stomach's hydrochloric acid
- The body's microvilli ingest and destroy pathogens
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Vaccines contain pathogens. True or false?
- True: But only dead or inactive forms of them; in this way, immunity can develop at little or no risk to the patient
- False: This would be an entirely unnecessary risk; immunity is developed more effectively without the presence of pathogens to elicit illness
3. A seemingly random alteration in the composition of genetic material during its mitotic replication in asexual reproduction is referred to as a...
4. The two main types of pathogen are...
- Viruses and bactrians
- Bacteria and ventriculators
- Bacteria and viruses
- Bacteria and yeast
5. Who discovered penicillin, perhaps the most famous antibiotic?
- Charles Darwin, FRS
- Rosalind Franklin
- Sir Alexander Fleming, FRSE, FRS, FRCS
- Rt. Hon. Ernest Rutherord, Baron of Nelson, OM, FRS