- Created by: Niamh Crawford-Thomson
- Created on: 13-02-19 18:32
WHY DID JOHN LOSE NORMANDY AND WHAT WERE THE EFFECTS OF THIS LOSS?
- One explanation was that he was a poor soldier and evidence for this comes from his decision to negotiate peace at Le Goulet rather than fight on
- His failure to support his castellans in 1204 led to the collapse of his power in Normandy
- John did not return to England to do nothing, he undertook preperations for the defence of normandy but was simply overtaken by the speed at which Philip captured strategic points
- John lacked the character to put up a sustained defence and he had become paranoid in his fears that he was surrounded by treachery after his disposal of Arthur