· A transgression of a law of nature by a particular violation of the Deity (Hume)
· Will most likely remain ambivalent and become a ‘seeing-as’ issue.
· Holland argues that if you pray for someone’s safety and they are saved by an unexpected turn of events (etc.) then that also can be consider a miracle.
Do Miracles Happen?
· Under Holland’s view they happen all the time! How are we to distinguish?
· Natural laws are retrospectively formed to cover what has actually happened, and from this we can declare a priori that there are no miracles – widen natural laws
· That does not mean there is no divine intervention however. Resurrection of Jesus etc.
· Things once thought miraculous can turn out not to be (radioactive rock)
o Regular laws of nature that happen day after day – impossible to prove a miracle
o The falsehood would have to be…