The cold war
After World War 2:
- Britian, the USSR and US came out on top during the second world war.
- The yalta and potsdam confrences saw meetings held between the big three allies to decide Germany's and Eastern Eurpoes fate.
The Yalta conference saw 3 major decisions (1945).
- Winston Churchill, President Roosevelt and the USSR leader Stalin met at the yalta conference.
- The decisions were made:
- Germany was going to spilt into 4 sections/zone of occupation.
- Countries that were in Eastern Europe were set to have free elections for new governments.
- The League of Nations would be replaced by the United Nations.
Changes occured after this:
- Both Roosevelt and Churchill lost power (deaths/elections) and new leaders were in charge, President Truman (US) and Clement Attlee (UK).
- When Truman came to power he became increasingly suspicous of the USSR. The USSR were expanding Westwards, taking…