- The invasion of Iraq by the US was quick and easy however the conflict lasted longer than expected.
Saddams regime crumbled in just over a month:
- March 2003 saw the US invade Iraq with coalition forces.
- On April 9th they captured the capital, Baghdad. The coalition had 200,000 ground troops who were better equiped than the Iraqis. They also had air support while Iraq had none.
- May 1st saw President Bush announce the victory over Iraq.
However the conflict still continued:
- After the defeat of Saddam there was luting and civil disorder over the country of Iraq.
- The US forces lacked the man power to with hold them.
- Many of the members of the defeated Iraqi army resisted the invasion (became insurgents) and they were supplied weapons by terrorists.
- Saddam Hussein went into hiding but was later captured in December 2003.
- Al Qaeda and…