The soviet withdrawal
When Mikhail Gorbachev came to power he made significant changes to the Soviet policies.
The cold war created a crisis in the USSR.
This is because:
- The arms race with the USA was very expensive. It cost so much that living standards in Russia dropped.
- Soviet farming was inefficient because farms weren't producing enough food which resulted in millions of tonnes of grain being imported from the USA.
- The communist government was becoming increasingly more corrupt which meant they couldn't give people the same living standards as people had in the West.
- The USSR had been at war with Afghanistan since 1979 and it cost them billions of pounds and thousands of troops. 15,000 troops were killed.
Gorbachev introduced reforms:
- In 1985 Gorbachev became General Secretary of the communist party.
- He was…