Henry VIII's Early Actions as King
- Spent all the money on wars against France.
- Council Learned in Law was abolished in 1510 and Empson and Dudley were arrested.
- Cancelled bonds and recognisances issued by the council.
- Government by council dissapeared and a cheif minister became central to decision making instead.
- Became King just before he turned 18.
- Older brother, Prince Arthur, had died when Henry was 11.
- Therefore, he had spent his teenage years being prepared for the role of King.
- Corrupted by power.
- Easily influenced people.
Henry's Initial Aims
- To establish his status as a prominent European monarch via marriage.
Similar History resources: