Evolution = a change in allele frequency in a population over time
1) mechanism for inheriting characteristics e.g. genes
2) in a group of organisms there is variation
3) the environment impacts of that species
4) the fittest and best suited survive and pass genes on
Species = a group of closely related organisms potentially capable of interbreeding to produce fertile offspring.
DARWINS THEORY OF EVOLUTION!
- It was not a modern concept, ancient Greece and Chinesephilosophers suggested that complex species evolved from simple pre-existing ones by a process of gradual change
- Not until 19Th century that a plausible mechanism was suggested
- Darwin visited Galapagos islands and compared species in different locations