- Idea of determinism is that everything has a prior cause including humans and our actions. everything is determined so we do not have free will and therefore should not accept moral responsibility for our actions.
- Pre-destination in the Bible. Formulated by theologians like Augustine of Hippo and John Calvin:
- Idea that God determines everything and pre determines who he shall save (go to heaven) and the rest will go their natural way to hell.
- Seems to suggest that humans have no free will - they cannot try and achieve salvation as their 'destination' has already been decided no matter what they do.
- Humans have a naturally sinful nature and those that are only good are only because God has decided he will save them.
- Hard determinism is incompatible with free will. As our actions all have prior causes we arent free to act in any other way.
- Case of Clarence Darrow in 1924 defence lawyer for Leopold and Loeb who…