Criminal and Civil law
· Covers actions that are regarded as crimes against society as a whole, such as theft, murder, speeding and damage to property.
· If someone is accused of committing a crime, the police will arrest and charge them and they will be put on trial.
· Covers disputes between people and is usually about rights. For example, consumer rights, issues with marriage and divorce, accidents at work and contracts.
· Civil cases usually involve disputes about ‘damage done to the person’.
· This person is called the plaintiff and will bring a case against another person, called the defendant.
· Gives advice about the law and will represent you if you…