Reasons for their high biological productivity in the Southern Ocean
- Waters are turbulent, keeping nutrients and minerals in suspension
- Water is cold, enabling gas storage
- 24 hour daylight in summer allows photosynthesis to cultivate large amounts of algae, used by the krill.
The Importance of krill to the southern ocean
- They are the direct food supply of millions of fish, penguins and albatrosses, seals and baleen whales.
- They are the indirect food supply of aquatic birds and mammals
Species diversity in the Southern Ocean
- Although it is a highly productive area, species diversity is very low.
- Only 43 regular bird species
Human uses of Krill
- Highest demand area for krill
- Uses 75% of fish oil (potentially 79% in next decade)
- Uses 40% of…
Similar Geography resources: