- Many points of dispute between Henry and Becket.
- Kings enraged outburst led to Beckets murder.
- Main source of argument from the 'triangular relationship (Mortimer) of the church and crown.
- Describe clash is theocratic/scaremental principle
- Principles initiated conflict after Beckets ordination and was the key cause of Beckets exile.
- Furthur disputes beyond exile was fuelled by clashing personalities,leading to Beckets death.
- Before Beckets ordination in 1162.
- William the conquerer and then William Rufus attempted to exert power over the church
- Archbishop Anselm attempted to appoint church positions Rufus replies 'To what concern of this is yours? Arnt these abbeys mine?'
- Henry though his decision to appoint Becket was strategic and would elimate all church-crown disputes as Becket was Hnery's trusted chancellor and would adhere to his own theocratic view.
- Becket was ambitious,powerhungry and unexpectedly switched to sacremental view? was he just serving his new role correctly in the church?
- WOODSTOCK1163- Denied Hnery's request that the money collected from sheriffs aid should go straight to the exchequer. WARREN: Becket was deliberatly picking a quarrel Henry.
- Becket disagreed with Henry to defend his scremental principle.
- Becket was a pious man-Hair shirt 1169 and therefore at thois early stage his quarrels seemed motivated in honouring his sacremental view.
COUNCIL OF WESTMINISTER
- Council of Westminister October 1163-Major conflict of principle.
- Excommunication of William,Lord of Eynsford-Becket did not notify/consult Henry
- This angered Hnery as it went against his Theocratic principle.
- LED TO HENRY WANTING TO REFORM JUDICIAL SYSTEM
- William the conquerer agrredd that church men should be trialed only in their own ecclesiastical court.
- PROBLEM: Henry had to change this as 1/6 of the population were clergy and he had no control over their crimes--> led to minor punishments such as penance as the church could not 'SPILL BLOOD'
- Out of principle Becket could not agree with him put of priciple- Nahum 1:9 prevents double punishment.
- Underlying personal incetive for Becket to show independaence but moreso principle as he made compromise-increaed severeity of some cases.
- Paved the way for for personal motives to prioritse over prniciple.
- Still evidence of principle- Henry put forward 'ancient customs' at constituations of Clarendon 1164
- Undermined the churches authority- Clauses such as the crown having control over ecclesiastical elections.
- Becket naturally through principle rejected 10/16 clauses in favour of sacremental prinicple.
- BARLOW: The point where it came a fight of PRIDE NOT PRINCIPLE.
- WILLIAM FITZSTEPHEN: Henry saw Beckets actions as an 'AFFRONT'- angered the King and set out to destroy Becket at Northhampton.
- Henry accuses Becket of embezzling funds-Henrys Barons forced to support.
- Bekect found gulity and felees into exile.
- True characters came to light in this intense situation
- Henry= Angry / Bekcet=stubborn
- BARLOW: 'CAUSED BY THEIR OWN CHARACTER'
- Intial difference due to principle,but was exacerbated by a clash in personlity.
- Becket was 'Stubborn' not to part from principle,this angered Henry cause the conflict to worsen.
- Conflict driven by personlity.
- Principles were still a factor...Becket added 'SAVING MY ORDER' onto the end of the oath of alligience to Henry at Montrail- to maintain church principle.
- This led to an increase in conflict as negotions broke down.
- Henry undermined Beckets position as Archbishop-PRIMACY OFCANTERBURY. as he had Young Henry crowned by Archbishop of York JUNE 1170.
- The crowning of his son was out of spite not principle.
- PURSER&HUDSCROFT-DELIBERATE INSULT TO BECKET.
- Becket developed a profound distrust for Henry as was reluctant to return to England, negototiation had failed.
- Both personalities caused the pair to act irrationally.
BECKET RETURNS TO ENGLAND
- Becket and Henry caused further conflict due to their principles, but it was their personality that caused the climax of their conflict.
- Becket began excommunicating all in England who sided with Henry:
-Roger of York&Bishop Filiot of London.
- Element of principle in the excommunications as Becket rightfully waited for permission from Henry and Pope Alexander.-Freteval July 1170
- Henry was extremly angered by the excommunications, his outraging personality caused the conflict to peak.
- 'Will no one rid me of this turbulent preist!'
- Beckets own persoanlity led to his death as the Knights gave him to choice to ebsolve the excommunications, in stubborness,Becket refused and was murderd.
It was the two men’s final actions that were sparked by their personalities that caused the greatest issue in their conflict.
-Began with opposing principles,underlying conflict due to personlaity.
OVERTIME, THE PINNCALE OF THE CONFLICT DECENDED INTO CLASH OF PERSONLITY, ACTS OF PRINCIPLE SHROUDED PERSONAL MOTIVES.