- Created by: lomarriott
- Created on: 15-06-17 14:14
- Why was Becket elected archbishop of Canterbury 1162?
- Becket had served Henry loyally as Chancellor therefore Henry wanted Becket as archbishop to gain ore control over the church
- February 1162 Becket accepted archbishop of Canterbury
- However instead becket resigned and threw himself into his new role
- Previously Becket had enjoyed drinking and womanising with Henry but he instead became a religious man
- In Henry's eyes becket has betray him - something he found hard to forgive