Strengths & Weaknesses of Utilitarianism
- It is reasonable and natural to link what is good with the persuit of happiness and pleasure and the avoidance of pain.
- It is natural to consider the consequences of actions.
- It is a democratic morality that looks at general happiness rather than individual aims.
- It is common sense system that is easy to apply.
- It is practical with clear processes for making decisions.
- It is difficult to predict consequences.
- It is difficult to quantify and measure pleasure.
- Some pain is good for us and some pleasure may be bad.
- Happiness itself is subjective.
- Has the potenital to justify immoral acts such as gang **** and slavery.
- The rights of minorities are not protected because humans do not have intrinsic rights.
1 of 1