- East London, UK.
- Stratford in the borough of Newham.
- Includes part of the Lea Valley.
- Most assessable borough outside of central London.
- Good rail links to Essex and serviced by Docklands Light Railway = a transport hub.
- City of London Airport.
Why Does London Need the Olympic's?
- Improve currant transport - Eurostar.
- Bring in Economic benifit from Tourists.
- Improve the Education - Construction College.
- Newham is one of the most deprived boroughs with high levels of crime.
- Large areas of brownfield land from de-industrialisation, or industry is run down.
- Housing is unattracive and run down - much needs replacing. Only 25% of the population own their own home.
- Has the highest percentage of single parent families in the UK.
- Young population with over 25% under 16.
- Below average health care, Death rate is the third highest in London.
- Only 16% get 5 grades between A* - C at GCSE.
- Also a high number drop out of school early.
Features of the Redevelopment:
- River Lea cleaned to make it safe for people and wildlife.
- Olympic village green environment themed (50% will be affordable housing).
- Construction college to train locals to build the Olympics.
- Relocation of existing industry and housing.
- Upgrading of the DLR and main overhead railway Northern Line.
- New Eurostar terminal - £17 billion high speed rail service.
- Rehabilitation of old industrial areas and Brownfield sites.
- Environmental landscaping to create areas of green space along the River Lea, total of 100ha, including 45ha of new wildlife habitats.
- Overhead pylons replaced with underground cables.
- Media Center
- New Arenas - Stadium, Velodrome, BMX Park, Aquatic Center, etc.
- Improved infrastructure; Bridges, Pedestrian Walkways, Cycle lanes, Electricity, Gas and Sewage.
+ Sport and Recreational facilities with improved facilities for British teams and local clubs/residents.
+ Athletes village; improved housing stock including 50% affordable. (Total of 40, 000 new homes with mixed size and cost)
+ Bringing the community together through planning involvement.
+ Job Creation.
- Short term disturbance of construction work and increased traffic - Noise and Air pollution.
- Inconvenience short term as transport routes closed/busy.
- Local residents forced to move, communities broken up - Clays Lane. (They are given compensation and new homes.)
- Loss of 140 local leisure facilities.
+ 50 000 new jobs including 2000 construction jobs.
+ Media center will attract investment and provide jobs.
+ Short term increase in tourist revenue - befit local businesses.
+ Improved infrastructure, including accessibility will attract investment.
- Local industry (300 +) forced to move to unequal land further from workers.
- Cost of housing likely to increase - local people forced away.
- Investment may bring highly skilled and professional jobs not suited to the currant locals.
+ Cleaner and more attractive environment.
+ Environmental landscaping - 4000 trees, 74000 plants, 30000 wetland plants.
+ Increased wildlife diversity.
+ Reduced visual, noise and air pollution from bad neighbouring industries and traffic.
+ Improved environment and facilities will promote environmental awareness and healthier lifestyles.
+ Creates a green lung - permanent open green space.
+ 97% of building material was salvaged from demolitions. (Bricks, paving slabs, stones and timber sleepers.
- Doubts that cost will allow provisions of affordable housing after the games.
- Doubts that local community were sufficiently involved to insure their long term benefit.
- Doubts that the jobs generated will be suited to the skills of locals and may attract university educated into the area who will get the long term benefits.