Characteristics Of urban Areas Key words
Urban - the distonctive characteristics of towns and cities - their size, density and ways of life.
Rural - the character of country areas and the activities and lifestyles encountered in such areas.
Urbanisation - the rise in the proportion of a population living in urban areas.
Percentage Urban - the proportion of a population living in urban areas.
Rural-urban migration - movement of people from the countrysid into towns and cities.
Characteristics of urban areas
- Exclusion of the natural world
- Dominance of buildings and transport networks
- Pace of living
- Pollution and congestion
- Employment in secondary, tertiary and quaternary sectors
- provision of commercial and social services for local residents.
- High population densities
- raised stress levels
- diversity in age, wealth and ethniity
- distinctive lifestyles, behaviour and values.
Types of Urban Change
Rural-urban shift - shift in where the majority of the worlds population live and work, the growth into urban.
MEDC-LEDC shift- fastest rates of urbinisation happen in LEDCs
The shift in Size- More urban population giving rise to larger urban areas.
Mega city - a city or urban agglomeration with a population of 10 million or more inhabitants.
World City - One of the worlds leading cities