1. Experience in high powered roles- politburo, secretariat, orgburo, commisar for Nationalities (supervised officials-control self-determination), head of workers and peasants' insectorarate, General Secretary (choice of party members).
2. Close to Lenin- knew how he worked and presented his own ideas.Promote himself through Lenin's work.
3. Founded Lenin enrolment= incr. in Party membership. 1922-1925= 340,000-600,000
4. Won policy and personality test. Policy "socialism in one country" = more inkeeping with time, concentrate on their own problems- peasant's support.
5. Good political skills- good public speaker.
6. Instrumental in Lenin cult- attracted attention-regarded as Lenin's fount of wisdom.
7. Editor of Pravda- spread his public policies.
1. Bad name amongst party members.
2. Known to disobey others orders- e.g. during the civil war.
3. Sukhanov- " the grey blur that flickered obscurely and left no trace".
4. Bad reference by Lenin in his testament- described a no. of S worst qualities- tyrant that was unfit to rule the country.
1. Intelligent and dynamic speechmaker- engaged audience.
2. L's right hand man during revolution and civil war. October revolution he played a principle role in organising and carrying out B seizure of power.
3. Great leadership skills, ruthlessness, decision making ability. Leader of the RA.
4. Only person able to rival Lenin's intellect and writings on the Maxist theory.
5. Given position of Commisar of War.
6. Given a good reference by Lenin in his testament- lots of good qualities.
1. Not an "Old B"- questioned loyalty.
2. Arrogant and aloof. Dismissive of other leaders. Brusque with those less intelligent than himself.
3. No attempt to build support base within party.
4. Use RA links to mount a military coup post L's death.
5. Didn't push himself forward- anti- semitism in R.
6. Actions lacked consistancy- opportunist?
7. Indecisive and failure of nerve- ill at critical moments- psychosomatic?
8. Crucial errors of judgement- attacked P bureaucracy 1924 and argued against publicing L's testament.
9. Underestimated S
10. Policy lead to him being accused by S of not being patriotic.
1. Positions of responsibility within P- chairman of Vesenhka 1918, Chairman of the Sovnakom.
2. Most statesmanlike of colleagues.
3. Moderate socialist- coalition with other socialists 1917
Rykov's disadvantages and general notes
1. Outspoken and frank- not always endearing to colleagues!
2. Heavy drinker- vodka was known as Rykova.
1. Strong supporter of NEP.
2. Show trial and then executed in 1938.
Tomsky's advantages, disadvantages and general not
1. Chaiman of Central Council of Trade Unions-1918
2. Popular within P.
1. Important figure in TU movement.
2. Opposed L in TU debate- 1920
1. Hostile to Left- allied with Bukharin. Expelled from Politburo-1929
2. Committed suicide when he discovered authorities were making enquires about him.
1. Intelligent, energetic, wide knowledge of European culture.
2. One of P's best speakers.
3. "Old B"- respect from members.
4. Promoted to highest ranks by L- "Closest and most trusted assistant"
5. Influential positions in Comintern, Politburo and Leningrad party.
1. Reputation of inconsistency- switching alliances between S and T and he opposed L in 1917.
2. Ambitious compromiser- no clear philosophy- vain and lacking political courage- buckled under political pressure.
3. Subject to big mood swings.
4. Underestimated opponents- especially S.
1. "Old B"- helped form P policy and was v. close to L.
2. L entrusted many personal papers to him-1922.
3. Influence in Moscow- ran local party.
4. Thoughtful, intelligent, good at smoothing out difficulties.
1. Reputation of inconsistency and opportunism- opposed L in 1917 and switched alliances between S and T.
2. Too soft- no ability to be leader.
3. Underestimated opponents- especially S.
1. Popular within P- close to L.
2. Intelligent- best thinker in P.
3. Close associate of S- respected by him.
4. S relied on B's knowledge of econ.
1. Naive and lacked qualities of intrigue- unsuited to party fighting.
2. Appeared to be more popular than S in P.
3. Tried to remain loyal to everyone - avoided takig sides- lacked a power base.
4. Underestimated S.
5. Tactical mistake 1928- tried to establish links with defeated Kamenev and thus appeared inconsistent.