- Created by: Gemma Brook
- Created on: 05-05-11 09:54
Effects of the Wall Street Crash
- America recalled the money they had loaned Germany.
- Factories were producing less so some of the workers were sacked and became unemployed.
- Fewer people to buy goods so factories sold less.
- So more workers were sacked.
- Farmers were affected as less food was needed because unemployed people couldn't afford to buy as much.
- So farm prices dropped forcing farmers and farm workers into unemployment.
- This resulted in the Great Depression.
- Unemployment kept rising.
- 1933- six million Germans out of work.
- Led to misery and despair.
- Middle class and working class people lost their homes.
- Businesses went bankrupt.
- Small farmers lost their farms.
- Many turned to extremist parties who seemed to have a solution to the economic problems.
- This gave Hitler and the Nazis the opportunity they needed.
1 of 2
- 1924- Hitler released from prison.
- He started to recorganise the Nazi Party to make it more effective in elections.
- Started Hitler Youth for boys and a new fighting force, the **.
- Marches and torchlight rallies were staged to publicise Nazi ideas.
- More and more people joined the party.
- 1928- the Nazis didn't do to well in the elections.
- When the Great Depression hit Germany this changed.
- Hitler believed that the weak leadership of the Weimar governments had caused many of Germany's problems.
- So he said Germany needed a strong leader like himself.
- Hitler also said that the Nazis would then give Germany great military power by increasing the size of the army.
- Make germany prosperous again.
- Aryans were the superior race.
- Inferior races; Eastern Europeans, people from Asia and Africa, Jews, and Travellers.
- Wanted Germans to feel part of 'the people's community'.
- Wanted to work together to make Germany great again.
- Individual rights were less important than loyalty to the country, the people and the leader.
- He hated communism and pledged himself to destroy it.
2 of 2
Similar History resources: